1. WHAT is faith declared to be?
“Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Heb. 11:1.
2. How necessary is faith?
“Without faith it is impossible to please Him.” Verse 6.
3. Is mere assent to divine truth sufficient?
“Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.” James 2:19.
4. What is required besides a belief in the existence of God?
“For he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.” Heb. 11:6, last part.
5. From whom does faith come?
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.” Eph. 2:8.
6. Why did God raise Christ from the dead?
“Who by Him do believe in God, that raised Him up from the dead, and gave Him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.” 1 Peter 1:21.
7. What is Christ’s relation to this faith?
“Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith.” Heb. 12:2.
8. What is the basis of faith?
“So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Rom. 10:17.
9. What relation does faith bear to knowledge?
“Through faith we understand that the worlds ‘were framed by the word of God.” Heb. 11:3.
10. By what principle is genuine faith actuated?
“In Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision but faith which worketh by love.” Gal. 5:6.
11. Of what is faith a fruit?
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith.” Verse 22.
12. What in the early church showed living faith?
“Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labor of love.” 1 Thess. 1:3.
13. What is necessary in order that the preaching of the gospel may be profitable?
“For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.” Heb. 4:2.
14. What is the character of any act or service not performed in faith?
“Whatsoever is not of faith is sin.” Rom. 14:23.
15. How does Abraham’s experience show that obedience and faith are inseparable?
“By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.” Heb. 11:8.
16. With what, therefore, is the faith of Jesus joined?
“Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.” Rev. 14:12.
17. In what other statement is the same truth emphasized?
“But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” James 2:20.
18. How is faith brought to perfection?
“Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?” Verse 22.
19. What is the result of faith’s being put to the test?
“The trying of your faith worketh patience.” James 1:3.
20. What relationship to God is established by faith?
“For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.” Gal. 3:26.
21. How do the children of God walk?
“For we walk by faith, not by sight.” 2 Cor. 5:7.
22. Upon what condition may one expect answers to prayer?
“But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.” James 1:6.
23. To what parts of the ancient armor is faith compared?
“Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.” Eph. 6:16. “Putting on the breastplate of faith and love.” 1 Thess. 5:8.
24. What chapter in the Bible is devoted to faith?
The eleventh chapter of Hebrews. In verses 33-38 are summarized the victories of the heroes of faith.
25. What gives victory in our conflicts with the world?
“This is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.” 1 John 5:4.
26. What is the ultimate purpose of faith?
“Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.” 1 Peter 1:8,9.
‘Tis by the faith of joys to come
We walk through deserts dark as night;
Till we arrive at heaven, our home,
Truth is our guide, and faith our light.
The want of sight she well supplies;
She makes the pearly gates appear;
Far into distant worlds she pries,
And brings eternal glories near.
Though lions roar, and tempests blow,
And rocks and dangers fill the way,
With joy we tread the desert through,
While faith inspires a heavenly ray.